"Perfect" by Natasha Friend


"'Before you throw up, HALT. Ask yourself, how are you feeling? Are you hungry? Angry? Lonely? Or tired?' And for once I took the pencil out of my mouth, wiped the spit off on my jeans, and wrote something. I wrote one word. Lonely." Natasha Friend takes us along on Isabelle's journey through group counseling for girls with eating disorders. Free of cliche situations, overdone dramatics, and institutions with Hollywood perfect girls, Friend displays a realistic and a perfectly imperfect view of a teenage girl dealing with eating/body issues, death, and crappy self-esteem. This was the best book on eating disorders I've ever read. Unlike most in it's category, it doesn't make a girl feel worse about herself than she already does. Kudos Natasha Friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment