Shakespeare for Teens


Warning: Don't read if you insist on hating Shakespeare.

The Bard is finally making sense!
I picked up Hamlet the other day, a new book by John Marsden, in which the story is told from Hamlet's more personal viewpoint. Marsden used imagination here, but really not too much! It is surprisingly accurate, and disturbingly so! I had always heard that Shakespeare was graphic and a little risque (if you know what I mean ;), but really I had no idea! It was shocking in parts!
I've always loved Shakespeare stories, especially when read in class with a teacher helping me understand them! But on my own, it's so easy to miss really important things in the story, getting caught up too much in the old language. If this happens to you, then this book is definitely a good one!
Even if you don't like Shakespeare at all, give Marsden's adaptation of Hamlet a try. Its a ghost story, full of teen/parental frustration, and a absolutely tragic and frustrating love story. Don't be surprised to see that Shakespeare is full of sarcasm, wit, and smut. :)

Posted by Erin Reifsnider

Young Adult Program Planner
Book Reader
Mind Reader
Movie Viewer

1 comment:

  1. this is something that i might try to read cause since were reading shakspear in school right now ive really gotten used to his writings and his plays. :) sounds like a book to go on my "to read list" :) lol

    ReplyDelete